Sunday, January 07, 2007

Being a father of a teenager

When I read my 14 y.o. daughter's blog, I smiled. She is growing up, I said to myself. She's developing into a girl, not anymore a child. Her way to express herself, her way of communicating with her friends...some of them even I do not know of.

Well, that reminds me of my youth. We share some similarities. We enjoy the full fragrant of life. We slowly leave off our childish habits, and transform ourselves into new, grown-up characters. But there are also differences. Our environments are different, and perhaps our perception and attitude towards life as well.

And that brings a mixed feeling to me. Sometimes I feel afraid: why is my daughter different from me ? But then I realize that we live in different worlds. There is no way I can enforce my world to hers. Then suddenly I am reminded: this is my call as a father. I have a responsibility to care, nurture, and guard my lovely flower so that she can blossom in the most beautiful way.

So Rizka... go get your stars in the sky. Fly as high as possible. Just one message from me: make yourself useful for others, because this is how you realize your obligation to Gusti Allah. Gusti Allah does not need you. He wants you to realize His perfect plans -- through your hands, delivering His blessing and love to humankind and the universe.

I am right behind you, my daughter... As I am doing my mission, too...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home